Australia’s legislative framework has come a long way when it comes to enshrining diversity. But, there is much more work that needs to be done. It is vital now, more than ever, for legal practitioners to be across the ever-shifting landscape.
The conference examines a myriad of legal and regulatory LGBTI issues, including discrimination, end of life planning and commercial surrogacy.
Rights and Recognition
- Same-sex Relationships, Spouses and Divorce: Where Are We At? - William Keough, Barrister and Solicitor, Lower Templestowe, Victoria
- Birth Certificates, Passports and Gender Recognition: Complications for the LGBTI Community - Kristen Walker QC, Melbourne, and Elizabeth Bennett, Barrister, Victorian Bar, Melbourne
- Special Medical Procedures for Transgender Teenagers - Sally Nicholes, Partner, Nicholes Family Law, Melbourne
- Intersex: Dealing With The Misconceptions and Surgical Interventions - Morgan Carpenter, Founder and President, Organisation Intersex International Australia, Newtown, NSW
- Discrimination and Bullying in Schools: How it Affects the LGBTI Community - Jo Hirst, Melbourne Author – The Gender Fairy
- Addressing Discrimination Issues in the Workplace for LGBTI Employees - Anthony Wood, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills, Melbourne
Family Law and Parenting Issues
- Relationship Breakdown from a Family Law Perspective - David Barry, Legal Practitioner Director, Gordon and Barry Lawyers, Sydney
- Another Closet: Domestic Violence in the LGBTI Community - Rebecca Dahl, Senior Associate, Nicholes Family Law, Melbourne
- Equal Adoption Rights: Are We There Yet? - Ben Sayer, Partner, Sayer Jones, Melbourne
Surrogacy and ART
- The Complications with International Surrogacy and Parenting Orders - Paul Boers, Principal, Boers Associates, Melbourne
- Access to IVF, Reproductive Treatment and Stored Genetic Materials - Stephen Page, Partner, Harrington Family Lawyers, Brisbane